Wednesday, August 31, 2005

What Kind of Jesus Do You Have? (Part 1)




These are some recent pics I shot at a nearby cemetary. (Obviously, the date on my camera is wrong...) They are a good reminder to me of how we all see Christ differently. We seem to focus on the image of Christ that currently ministers to our individual needs. The lowly, pure infant in the manger. The peaceful, serene Holy One of God. The crucifixion and sin-payment that should have shed my blood instead of His.
Before I throw all of my thoughts out here, I'm wondering how YOU would describe Jesus. What kind of Jesus do you worship? What is He like in terms of personality? Temperment? What's your mental picture of Him?

4 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger shaeman said...

I prefer the Buddy Christ.

No, sorry...I couldn't resist. Good thoughts, my brutha. let me think about this one and get back with you...

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

yeah...doesn't it just 'pop'? One of my favs...(and one of my fav movies...)

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Scott Morizot said...

I've spent a good while now with your question mulling in the back of my head. It's a tough one to distill into words. I suppose the main three descriptions I have to go with are empathetic, fun, and stable.

Empathetic because not only am I constantly aware of his overflowing love, grace, and mercy, but I'm also constantly reminded that it's not general, faceless, or impersonal in any sense. He truly understands my struggles, pain, difficulties, and problems. And he cares. Words can't begin to express the depth and breadth of such a simple statement.

Fun because it seems to be the trait of his personality we leave off the most, but I see it overflowing in the accounts about him. Dancing at parties. Making jokes. Hanging with friends. He loves life and loves people and it shows. He doesn't just struggle through. He fully appreciates each moment and life in its many colors.

Stable because I come with a perspective that makes it hard for me to accept anything as the one truth, independent of perception. And in that fluid world, Jesus offers himself as the rock who can simply and truthfully proclaim, I AM. Stable because it is hard for me to trust, but Jesus has proven he will never leave or abandon me. Stable because I've lived a life of crisis with oases few and far between, but I can cling to Jesus.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Paul said...

That's a very interesting question and one Bultmann would be proud of. It's also one whose answer, for me, would take way too much space to answer. Interesting question, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home