Monday, January 16, 2006

Clear the stage


We're doing it wrong. Worship is not about lights and bands and cool clothes and songs that make me feel good.

Consider the words of Ross King:





Clear the stage
and set the sound and lights ablaze
if that’s the measure you must take
to crush the idols.

Check the pews
and all the decorations, too
and tell the congregations few,
then have revival.


Tell your friends
that this is where the party ends,
until you’re broken for your sins
you can’t be social.

Seek the lord
and wait for what he has in store
and know that great is your reward
and just be hopeful.

You can sing all you want to,
Yes you can sing all you want to,
You can sing all you want to and still get it wrong.
Worship is more than a song.

Take a break
from all the plans that you have made
and sit at home alone and wait
for God to whisper.

Beg Him please
to open up his mouth and speak
and pray for real upon your knees
until they blister.

Shine a light
on every corner of your life
until the pride and lust and lies
are in the open.

Then read the Word
and put to test the things you’ve heard
until your heart and soul is stirred
and rocked and broken.

You can sing all you want to,
Yes you can sing all you want to,
You can sing all you want to and still get it wrong.
Worship is more than a song.

Anything I put before my God is an idol.
Anything I want with all my heart is an idol
Anything I can’t stop thinking of is an idol.
Anything that I give all my love is an idol.
We must not worship something that’s not even worth it.
Clear the stage.
Make some space
For the One who deserves it.

I can sing all I want to,
Yes I can sing all I want to.
I can sing all I want to and still get it wrong.

1 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger natala said...

i heard this song a few years back, at the church i was attending. ... it really spoke to me in so many ways.. still does.
it always made me so sad all of the sides people took when it came to worship, when it was always more than that.
i'm in a place now that i thinkthat worship is something holy, not something political... i often forget how blessed i am .

thanks for the reminder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home